In the UK we have far too much government; at the bottom there are parish councils, then district councils, county councils, the Westminster parliament and finally the expensive joke that is the European parliament. These five layers were not enough for Tony Blair, he wanted regional governments as well, especially for the Celts in Wales and Scotland. So these areas of the UK duly got their talking shops.
But of course we ended up getting mission creep with more and more power continuously being transferred to these new institutions. Independence by stealth. And now, in an election, the Scottish Nationalist Party (SNP) have won a majority. It is obvious that all those votes for the SNP were not votes for independence, it was just that the voters had no valid alternatives, the Conservatives in Scotland are a toxic brand and the Labour party there has imploded (a pity the English Labour party doesn’t do the same). And of course Alex Salmond, the SNP leader, is a highly devious and competent politician, who strides the Scottish political scene like a colossus.
So now we English have a great opportunity to kick the Scots out of the UK and make our country a better place. Here’s why we should do it:
- The Scots cost us English Â£14 billion a year because of a financial settlement called the Barnett Formula. This is Â£2,600 we pay annually to the average Scot. They spend it on things like free prescriptions and free university fees. So the Scots get far more from the state, paid for by us English.
- Scotland is a hotbed of the cancer that is socialism. After the last general election they sent to Westminster 41 Labour MPs, 11 Lib Dems, 6 SNPs and just the one Conservative. Get rid of this lot and the whole complexion of Westminster changes vastly for the better. At the moment the Celtic tail wags the English dog, preventing the English from getting the governments that we vote for.
- Racism. A significant number of Scots are anti English racists, I know, I have lived there. They call us white settlers when we live there. Yet far, far more Scots live in England as economic migrants and they don’t get called white settlers here.
- Braveheart, even Dr. Paul Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of this totally fictitious piece of Hollywood propaganda. Yet very many Scots are stupid enough to believe it. But then they get most of their history from the fiction of Sir Walter Scott, so this is nothing new.
- The UK banking crisis and bail out was disproportionately caused by Scottish financial institutions that were bailed out by the English. Had Scotland been independent they would have been in a worse position than the Irish or the Greeks. The idea of the “Celtic Tigers” has been shown to be just a ridiculous joke, the reality is that they spend far more than they earn and get away with it because of huge English subsidies.
- The West Lothian question. Those 59 Scottish MPs at Westminster get to vote on matters that have huge impact on English voters and none whatsoever on Scottish voters (because of their devolved parliament). This is totally undemocratic.
- Gordon Brown, this reason alone is enough to kick the Scots out of the UK. He came down to London and trashed the British economy, we are all suffering now (and will be for a long time to come) from the damage that his profligate spending did to the country. But he was just the latest in a long line of misguided Scottish socialist who sought to impose their discredited creed on the English. We would be vastly better off without them.
A very compelling argument, on the other side of the debate it is very difficult to find a single reason for keeping the union together. And there is a bonus, the SNP want to keep the Queen as head of their new state. Let them have her, then we can get on with having a democratically elected president to live in Buckingham Palace. So it would be an improvement all round.