History has taught us, repeatedly, that voting Labour is always a form of self harm. Like shooting yourself in the foot with a 12 bore shotgun or like turkeys voting for Christmas. Every Labour government increases unemployment. Every Labour government trashes the economy. Every Labour government reduces Britain’s place in the world. Every Labour government makes British society more dysfunctional. Labour governments have been a far bigger disaster for Great Britain than World War 2 was. And any future Labour government will be exactly the same. Or, looking at Ed Miliband, even worse.
That Labour will always fail badly is because they are not driven by reality, they are instead driven by a dogma called socialism. And every single time that socialism has been tried anywhere in the world it has failed. Just look at Cuba, Venezuela and what is happening to the NHS in Wales right now. I wrote an article explaining the comparison of the recent history of Cuba and Hong Kong. The difference is so huge and socialism causes so much harm that any implementation of it must be considered utterly immoral.
Let’s look at some of the highlights of Labour’s abysmal failures:
- Attlee 1945-51. Continued wartime austerity, when countries like Germany and France didn’t. During WW2 food was rationed from January 1940 till VJ day in August 1945. Five and a half years. Attlee rationed food from July 1945 till the Conservatives started rolling it back after their election victory in October 1951. Six and a half years. And Attlee rationing was far stricter than wartime rationing, bread was rationed for the first time and calorie intake was reduced as they mismanaged the economy. Right to the limits of starvation. Attlee nationalised about 20% of the economy, which then went into terminal decline. And in 1947 there were widespread power cuts. The USA threw money at Europe in the Marshall Plan to aid post war recovery. Germany received one and a half billion dollars (an immense amount then) and used it to rebuild their industry, from which they still benefit. UK received over twice as much and frittered it away on socialist dogma. Attlee created a massively generous welfare state where people received benefits if they didn’t feel like working and where the state thought it could spend people’s money better than they themselves could. Attlee borrowed immense amounts of money from USA and Canada, 6 billion in 1946 alone, which was wasted on fiscal incontinence and dogma and which took many decades to repay. Attlee vastly increased taxes, taking earned money out of the economy and greatly increased the number of people paying income tax with the introduction of PAYE. Gross financial mismanagement led to the huge 1947 “Sterling Crisis” which ended Great Britain as a global economic superpower.
- Wilson. 1964-70, 1974-76. Callaghan 1976-9. You would think it would be very difficult to screw up Britain far worse than the Attlee government had, but these two tried their best. Notably their socialist dogma of envy led them to punish people who succeed. They increased income tax to 83% for the rich, which vastly reduced the amount collected (see Laffer Curve). Not only that they added a surcharge of up to 15% for investment income, which they spitefully called “unearned income”. So the top tax rate became 98% and there was no longer any point in working hard, succeeding and building wealth. So Britain suffered very badly. As always under Labour the economy was massively mismanaged, which led to another crisis with Sterling and to the 1967 devaluation of 14.3%, which made everyone in Britain worse off. LabourÂ tried to dictate what people were paid, the prices of goods in the shops, currency exchange rates and much more. This cause immense dissatisfaction. Just about every public service went on strike in the Winter of Discontent, dead bodies were not buried, hospitals were closed to patients, mountains of garbage piled up in the streets, 29,474,000 working days were lost directly and many more indirectly. Great Britain was trashed.
- Blair 1997-07. Brown 2007-10. Having supposedly learned the lesson of previous Labour disaster the new Labour government promised to follow and continue the very successful economic policies of Ken Clarke. But they couldn’t help themselves and gradually at first, but eventually at a massive rate they trashed the British economy. Their first problem was to effectively remove all control over financial markets with the creation of the supine Financial Services Authority, this obviously stored up immense disasters such as the RBS purchase of ABN AMRO, the creation of trillions of pounds of complex and ridiculous “derivatives” and the bundling of dodgy debts to securitise them on an epic scale. In addition Labour became increasingly fiscally incontinent, borrowing whilst the economy was booming (breaking Gordon Brown’s own Golden Rule) and spending money on an epic scale that they didn’t have and which they didn’t even have a costed budget for. Then they discovered that with the Public Finance Initiative they could borrow billions more “off balance sheet” to throw at vanity projects at immense real financial cost, to be met by future generations. The economic recession that their behaviour dropped us into was one of the worst in British history and the immense mountain of debt and structural deficit they built will take many decades to get under control. Here is a great academic paper that explains it all.
Labour governments have been so utterly abysmal that it is difficult to choose which is the worst. Certainly it is utterly amazing that anyone ever votes for them again. And immoral, because voting for them harms everyone. So who votes Labour and why?
- Tribal people. These tend to be either unintelligent or badly educated. Sometimes both. They live in working class tribal communities and vote according to what the tribe says, not thinking for themselves. The tribal message is “us and them” class warfare. They don’t seem to have caught on to the fact that Labour is run by a rich metropolitan elite, most of whom have never had a proper job and who utterly despise the working class tribes.
- Young people. Our society has two institutions, the BBC and the state education system, that brainwash young people into the lie that socialism has merit. Largely because the people in these institutions have no real world experience. So the polls show that young people, due to their ignorance of reality, are predominantly Labour voters. Then as they grow older and gain experience they become wiser and more knowledgeable, they realise the error of their ways and decreasingly vote Labour.
- “Academics”. Some young people never leave school, they just go on to become teachers, lecturers and professors. So they never get any real world experience. So they continue to be deluded that socialism has any merit.Â Â In 2004, a poll of university academics rated Clement Attlee the 20th-centuryâ€™s greatest prime minister, with an average mark of 8.34 out of 10. Winston Churchill was second, on 7.88. That is all you need to know about how deluded and plain ignorant they are.
- People who believe in “social justice”. These people believe Labour lies that they will, for instance, be better for child poverty. When all the historical evidence says the opposite. They believe that Labour will somehow be nicer and fairer. When we know that this just is not true. Labour are the nasty party. They always seek to punish successful, hard working, enterprising people. Whilst the Conservatives want to make everyone rich.Â Margaret Thatcher reduced the Basic Rate of Income Tax from 33 per cent to 25 per cent, and the Higher Rate from 83 per cent to 40 per cent. So people could keep the money they had earned, build wealth and create good lives for their families. George Osborne, despite Gordon Brown’s immense recession, has increased personal tax free allowances from Â£6,475 to Â£10,500, which especially benefits people climbing from the bottom of the pay ladder. Cameron’s policies have created 2 million new jobs. More than in the whole of the rest of Europe put together. The Conservatives are the party of social justice.
- Failures. There are two types here. Firstly middle aged people who have not succeeded as they would have wished. They blame this on the rich, who have succeeded and so seek to punish them. They never take responsibility for themselves and so don’t blame their own laziness, stupidity or incompetence. These people really are utterly immoral. Then there are old people who look back on their lives of under-performing and who blame it on those who have outperformed them. Once again bitter, nasty and utterly stupid.
- Envious people. An emotion thatÂ occurs when a person lacks another’s superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it. These people are nasty, bitter, twisted and deeply unhappy. They think that the state should punish people who are more successful than them. Unfortunately socialism fosters and breeds this evil emotion, so there is a lot of it about in Great Britain. Strangely if someone is paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week for kicking a football it is OK, yet earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a year creating wealth for society is seen as evil. This envy is a cancer deeply embedded in British society by decades of socialism and you can hear it used in every speech made by a Labour politician. They really are the nasty party.
- Carpetbaggers. People who become very rich or richer from espousing the evils of socialism. Ed Miliband is a millionaire and lives in a Â£3 million house.Â Michael Meacher has a property portfolio of ten homes.Â Margaret Hodge with Â£18 million of Stemcor is the richest woman in Parliament.Â Shaun Woodward sold Sarsden House, his Oxfordshire pile, in 2006 for Â£24 million. Tony Blair is worth Â£70 million. Gordon Brown earned Â£1.37 million last year. Tony Benn left Â£5 million when he died, carefully engineered to minimise estate duty.Â Geoffrey Robinson MP is worth Â£10m. And so on. Good on them, building wealth is an excellent endeavor. However the stink of their hypocrisy is unbelievable.
As you can see, voting Labour is something to be ashamed of. It makes nearly everyone in our society far worse off in every way. It is also self harm just as surely as slitting you wrists with a razor is.